Curious about the capabilities of your Alexa device? Wondering, “Can Alexa make phone calls?” Join us as we dive into this intriguing feature and its functionalities. Stay tuned to uncover the answers!
Table of Contents
When it comes to smart home technology, Amazon’s Alexa has quickly become one of the most popular choices on the market.
This virtual assistant can control everything from your lights and thermostat to your music and shopping list.
But one question that many people have is whether or not Alexa can make phone calls. The short answer is yes, Alexa can make phone calls, but there are some limitations to consider.
Introduction to Alexa’s Calling Features
Alexa, Amazon’s popular virtual assistant, is integrated into a growing number of devices.
One of Alexa’s most useful features is the ability to make and receive calls and send messages without needing a phone.
But how exactly does Alexa calling and messaging work? And what do you need to make hands-free calls using Alexa?
This article will cover everything you need to know about making phone calls with Alexa.
What is Alexa?
Amazon’s virtual assistant
Alexa is Amazon’s cloud-based virtual assistant technology. Alexa allows users to speak voice commands to interact with services and devices. With Alexa, users can ask questions, get news updates, control smart home devices, shop online, set timers and reminders, listen to music, and more.
Alexa is built into Amazon’s own smart speakers like the Amazon Echo, Echo Dot, and Echo Show. But the Alexa voice assistant also powers third-party devices like alarm clocks, light switches, thermostats, headphones, and more from brands like Sonos, Ecobee, and Bose. Alexa can be found in everything from cars to refrigerators!
How Alexa Makes Phone Calls
One of the most popular uses for Alexa is making calls and sending messages. Alexa offers a few different ways to make calls without a phone.
Alexa to Alexa calling
If both parties have Alexa-enabled devices, you can make free voice and video calls between Alexa gadgets. This is called Alexa-to-Alexa calling.
Alexa to phone calling
Alexa can also place outgoing calls to a mobile number and most landline numbers in the U.S., Canada, and Mexico. With this feature, known as Alexa-to-phone calling, you can ask Alexa to call your friends or family even if they don’t have an Alexa device.
In addition to calling, Alexa allows you to send voice messages. Alexa can send recordings to the Alexa app on your phone or to other Alexa-enabled gadgets.
Limitations of Alexa Phone Calls
Amazon Alexa phone calls are a convenient way to make free calls to a limited number of contacts. However, there are some limitations to be aware of.
- You can only make calls to 10 contacts in the US, UK, Canada, and Mexico.
- You cannot make calls to emergency numbers, premium-rate numbers, three-digit numbers, or international numbers.
- You cannot make calls to dial-by-letter numbers.
- You cannot make calls if you have not linked Alexa to a mobile carrier.
- There is a 20-contact swap limit, which means you can only swap out 20 contacts in your list before you have to remove one to add another.
- Alexa cannot receive an incoming call from a landline or mobile phone.
Here are some other things to keep in mind about Alexa phone calls:
- The quality of the calls may vary depending on your internet connection.
- Alexa may not be able to make calls if there is too much background noise.
- You cannot use Alexa to make video calls.
How to use Alexa to make calls
Using Alexa for calling and messaging from your echo device is simple once it’s set up. Here are the steps:
Set up Alexa calling and messaging
- In the Alexa app, go to Settings > Communication and link your phone contacts. This allows Alexa to access names and numbers for calling and messaging.
- Enable calling and messaging capabilities in the app.
- Set up voice profiles so Alexa can recognize different household members.
Make an Alexa-to-Alexa call
- Say “Alexa, call [contact name]” to call another Alexa device owner in your contacts.
- You can also make Alexa video calls with supported devices like the Echo Show.
Make an Alexa-to-phone call
- Say “Alexa, call [phone number]” to call someone you want to call, which can be a landline or mobile phone.
- If you’ve set up contacts, you can just say “Alexa, call [contact name]“
Send messages using Alexa
- Say “Alexa, send a message to [contact name]“
- Alexa will prompt you to record a voice message which it will then send to the recipient’s Alexa app or Alexa-enabled device.
Ending a call with Alexa
- Simply say “Alexa, end call” or “Alexa, hang up” to end the call.
How to use Alexa Group Calling
Alexa group calling is a feature that allows you to make a call to up to 7 people at the same time using your Alexa devices or the Alexa app. To use Alexa group calling, you first need to create a group of contacts.
To set up an Alexa group call, you will need to:
- Make sure that you have the latest version of the Alexa app installed on your phone or tablet.
- Open the Alexa app and sign in to your account.
- Tap on the Communicate tab.
- Tap on the Contacts icon in the top right corner.
- Tap on the Add New button and select Group.
- Select the contacts that you want to add to the group.
- Tap on the Continue button.
- Give the group a name and tap on the Create Group button.
Once you have created a group, you can start a group call by saying:
Alexa, call my [group name].
For example, if you named your group “Family,” you would say:
Alexa, call my Family.
Everyone in the group will be notified of the call and will be able to join.
Here are some things to keep in mind about Alexa group calls:
- You can only have up to 7 people in a group call.
- Group calls can only be made between Alexa devices or the Alexa app.
- Group calls can be made over Wi-Fi or cellular data.
- The quality of the calls may vary depending on your internet connection.
Tips for using Alexa calling and messaging
Here are some tips to get the most out of Alexa’s calling and messaging features:
One of the big perks is being able to make calls and send messages completely hands-free! Just speak to Alexa to place a call or send a voice message.
Link your contacts
Linking your phone contacts to Alexa allows you to call or message friends and family using just their names.
Set up voice profiles
With voice profiles, Alexa can distinguish who’s speaking and personalize the experience for each household member.
Check for compatibility
Keep in mind the recipient will need an Alexa device or use the Alexa app to receive Alexa-to-Alexa calls and messages.
Phone calls can be placed to most U.S., Canada, and Mexico numbers.
Users in other countries such as the UK have the ability to link their Alexa accounts to EE or Vodaphone for phone call capabilities.
Alexa phone calling vs. Google Assistant phone calling
|Free calling||Yes, to anyone in your contacts list, a business, or by speaking the phone number directly.||Yes, to anyone in your contacts list, a business, or by speaking the phone number directly.|
|International calling||Yes, if you have a compatible plan.||Yes, if you have a compatible plan.|
|Video calling||Yes, with Skype on select devices.||Yes, with Google Duo on select devices.|
|Two-way intercom||Yes, allows you to make unannounced calls to other Alexa devices in your home using the Drop In feature.||No|
|Whisper mode||Yes, allows you to make calls in a quiet voice.||No|
|Voice recognition||Alexa can recognize multiple voices and personalize responses.||Google Assistant can recognize multiple voices, but responses are not personalized.|
Alexa makes staying in touch hands-free and convenient. With a little setup, you can use Alexa-enabled devices to place voice and video calls, send messages, and more.
Linking your contacts and personalizing Alexa with voice profiles helps maximize the ease and value.
So give Alexa calling and messaging a try to keep connected completely phone-free!
Can Alexa make international calls?
No, Alexa can currently only directly dial phone numbers in the United States, Canada, Mexico, and the United Kingdom. International calls are not yet supported.
Do Alexa phone calls cost money?
No, Alexa-to-Alexa calls are always completely free. Alexa-to-phone calls are currently free for the first 60 minutes of calls per month, after which normal per-minute rates apply.
Can Alexa make 911 calls?
No, you cannot use Alexa to call 911. Alexa can not directly call emergency service numbers like 911.
Can you call Alexa?
No, Alexa does not have a phone number that can be called directly. You can only initiate calls from an Alexa device, not receive calls to Alexa.
Can you text with Alexa?
Not directly, but you can send voice messages to other Alexa device owners or smartphones with the Alexa app. Alexa does not support direct text messaging.